EQUITY SERVICE CENTRES SUMMER JOB POSTING
Rate of Pay: $12.50 per hour
Length of Contract: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 and ending on September 21, 2014 (7 weeks)
Hours per week: Twenty (20) hours per week. There are three (3) positions available. Please specify which positions you are applying for in your first paragraph of your cover letter (you can apply for multiple):
The primary responsibility of the selected applicant is to organise and develop programming related to one of five Equity Service Groups of the Ryerson Students' Union which include RyePRIDE, RyeACCESS, Racialised Students' Collective, Centre for Women & Trans* People, and the Community Food Room. The candidate will also assist with Equity Service Centre community outreach, correspondence with campus stakeholders, office administration, and orientation preparation.
In conjunction with the Ryerson Students' Union Equity & Campaigns Organiser, develop, plan and organize an Equity Service Centre welcome back events
- Develop correspondence and assist with the creation of promotional material
- Update email lists, web presence, news bulletin and other communication means for their respective Equity Service Centre
- Update Equity Service Centre resources
- In assistance with the Equity & Campaigns Organiser, recommend and order promotional materials, items for distribution throughout the year
- Responsible for recruiting and retaining volunteers
- Assist with community outreach and work to develop a contacts listing
- Provide office assistance, filing, correspondence, mailings, organizational up-keep and office improvements
- Assist in developing Equity Service Centre orientation packages, outreach and Fall publicity
- Assist with Orientation, RSU Week of Welcome and DisOrientation activities
- Other duties related to Equity Service Centre and Ryerson Students' Union's needs as required
- Must be a student of Ryerson University and an active member of an equity seeking group
- Must have a good understanding of equity issues on and off campus
- Ability to overcome challenges and lead a project from concept and planning through to successful execution
- Experience with community development, event planning and developing promotional material
- Can work independently with minimal supervision but is team oriented
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Strong organizational skills
- Effective communication, both verbal and written
- Proven ability to work within deadlines and in an expedient manner
- Ability to motivate others and recruit volunteers
- Knowledge and understanding of equity issues and creating inclusive spaces
Among typical information, please answer the following questions in your cover letter:
- What is your experience in social justice and anti-oppression organising & training?
- What experience do you have working in team environment? What experience do you have working in an independent environment?
- What programming, advocacy and/or services do you envision for the Equity Service Centre(s) you are applying for?
Submit applications by noon on Sunday, July 27, 2014 attention to:
Corey Scott, Equity & Campaigns Organiser
Ryerson Students' Students Union
55 Gould St, Student Centre, SCC208, Toronto ON M5B 1E9
Chosen candidates will be interviewed from Tuesday, July 29 and Wednesday, July 30, 2014.
The Ryerson Students' Union is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from members of diverse communities including: Aboriginal people, persons of colour, persons with disabilities, members of the queer communities, trans* people, and women. Please note that the RSU is an independently incorporated students' union operating within the Ryerson University community; this is not a Ryerson University position.